WHY DOES MY EYE HURT?
As asked to Dr. Craig Miller via Quora
Eye pain, eye strain, or a sharp pain in the eye are all necessary reasons to be seen by the Doctors at Eye Columbus as soon as possible.
Eye pain can be defined as either Ocular Pain, pain in the eyes, or Orbital Pain, around the eyes.
Common causes for pain in the eyes, or ocular pain are:
- Corneal Abrasion - scratch on the front of your eye
- Keratitis - inflammation of the cornea typically seen in contact lens wearers.
- Conjuctivitis - an uncomfortable red eye
- Dry Eyes
- Foreign Body - a piece of metal, wood, or even an eye lash
- Iritis or Uveitis - inflammation inside your eye
- Ocular Trauma
Orbital pain can be associated with:
- Eyestrain or Digital Eye Fatigue
- Stye or Hordeolum of the eyelid
- Orbital Trauma - commonly blunt trauma around the eye
- Angle Closure - a very increased rise to ones eye pressure can be very painful
- Ocular Ischemic Syndrome
- Sinusitus - a common sinus infection may cause pain around the eyes
- Migraine Headaches
If you experience any eye pain, call your Eye Columbus location immediately.